|The Ice Cream cone was invented in the summer of 1904 by Charles Menches. It made its debut one year later at the St. Louis World Fair.|
|Approximately 60% of the water used by households during the summer is used for watering flowers and lawns.|
For 47 days in 1961, the painting “Matisse’s Le Bateau (The Boat)” was hanging upside down in the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Apparently none of the over 116,000 visitors seem to have noticed.
- American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first class.
- The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from public libraries.
- You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.
- Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
- Apples are more efficient than caffeine in waking you up in the morning
- 47.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
- Elephants are the only land mammals that can’t jump.
- Your foot is nearly the same length as your forearm as measured from the inside of the elbow to the wrist
- Spiral staircases in medieval castles turn right as they ascend. This was so that (right-handed) knights defending the castle could more easily combat invading foes who were climbing the stairs.
The day after October 4, 1582 was October 15, 1582.
- The term “dodger” (from the Brooklyn Dodgers, now known as the Los Angeles Dodgers) was a shortened form of “trolley dodgers,” which described Brooklynites for their ability to avoid being hit by trolley cars.
jb signing off….06.29.2015 —12:47 p.m.